Preparing for your appointment:
- After your appointment has been booked, we will send you a welcome email with a link to an online health history form. We ask that new patients fill out this form prior to arriving so that we may get you in to your appointment as soon as possible. If you are unable to fill out the online version, please call to let us know at least 24 hours in advance, as there are other options.
- Have a light meal and drink plenty of water the day of your visit. Avoid heavy foods before and immediately after treatment.
- Light exercise a few hours before treatment is okay. After your visit, we recommend not exercising until the following day.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing. A basket will be provided for patients to put their personal belongings in during treatment (i.e. socks, shoes, purses, cell phones). This basket stays in the room with you at all times.
- We ask that you remove personal jewelry, watches, and accessories prior to your arrival and put all noise emitting devices on silent or turn them completely off.
- Out of consideration for all of our patients, and any potential allergies that they may have, we ask that you do not wear perfume or cologne to your appointment.
What should I expect during my first treatment?
Upon arrival, your Acupuncturist will review the health history form that you previously filled out. They will discuss your main complaint, review surgical history, medication lists and any previous diagnosis that you may have had from your western primary care physician. After discussing your history they will ask questions related to your whole body system such as lifestyle, diet, stress level, and sleep schedule. Don’t worry! The acupuncturist will guide new patients through the process and answer any questions you may have. If at any point during your treatment you feel discomfort or pain, please let your acupuncturist know so they can adjust as need be. This is a healing session and we want our patients to be as comfortable as possible.
With acupuncture, most people feel relaxed and with sense of well being. It is common to feel slightly drowsy after the treatment, followed by a boost of energy. With trigger point therapy or regenerative therapy there may be soreness, or even the sense that the problem has become worse, as changes in the body are beginning to take place. This is typically a sign of healing and will dissipate over the days following your treatment. After the initial visit patients do not usually experience discomfort, unless we are treating a different complaint than prior treatments.